The Wallabies won’t have much time to celebrate following their World-Cup quarter final win over South Africa.

The team is now preparing for next weekend’s clash against New Zealand.

Laura Clifton-Jones reports.


Fans sporting the green and gold were out in force for the Wallabies quarter final against South Africa in Wellington.

The Australian captain broke the defending champions’ back line to score the only try of the game but he maintains it was a team effort.

James Horwill, Wallabies captain: “Can’t fault the effort from anyone in the side, anyone on that field, whether it was the regies that came on, the guys starting. Everyone, you know, did their job.”

South Africa dominated posession but Australia’s defenders hit back making 147 tackles, keeping the score to 11-9.

David Pocock, Wallabies flanker: “We did a lot of tackling and that’s definitely a positive to take out of it.”

Despite kicking the winning penalty goal, James O’Connor was already focussed on the next game.

James O’Connor, Wallabies winger: “It’s an awesome feeling – I’m not going to lie about that. Look I’m already moving onto next week. We’ve got the semi finals. It’s going to be the biggest game of our lives.”

That highly anticipated game will be against the All Blacks next weekend, after New Zealand beat Argentina 33 points to 10.

In motor racing – The first rookie to win the Bathurst 1000 in 30 years is still pinching himself after his co-driver Garth Tander held off 5 time champion Craig Lowndes, finishing 3 tenths of a second in front at the checkered line.

Nick Percat, Bathurst 1000 winner: “I am one from one but it’s ah it’s not an easy range. Hasn’t really sunk in. I think I’m going to have to watch the replay back to see how it all happened.”

Drivers had to battle the elements. After a week of rain, David Besnard emerged unscathed when his car was engulfed in flames.

David Besnard, Ford driver: “I’ve had some big crashes not for a few years but um never had fire and that’s pretty scary to be honest.”

And in a weekend for young talent, Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel took out his second consecutive Formula One title – in Japan.

The 24-year-old German finished third but took out the championship from McLaren rival Jenson Button.

Police are investigating a brawl that broke out at the end of a charity soccer tournament held here in Greenslopes. Officials say tempers flared late yesterday as the players from the Scotland verses South Sudan grand final left the field. Two young men were taken to Princess Alexandra hospital with minor injuries but no charges have been laid.

Laura Clifton-Jones, QUT News.